Friday, March 15, 2013

My conquest continues...

I needed to annotate my other three poems and read them in both languages too. I chose Scherzo, To Himself, and L'infinto. More and more I began to realize how much pain and suffering the man went through emotionally and physically. To Himself is about him talking to himself about dying because he has done all he needs to do. To me that is very sad. As I read the poems and annotated them I started to realize making the focus of my paper about how the languages work together to make the poems great poems would have been too complicated and very short. The poems are how they are interpreted and it seems that they will be interpreted about the same way in different languages. Most translations seem more literal and lose some meaning which is true, but the difference of the poems in the two languages seemed too minuscule to talk about, partially because my thought process is in English so even as I read in Italian, I understand in English. I had to take a different direction with my paper and just wrote as if the poet were an English writing poet for meaning and structure but I wanted to make it clear that the sound is completely different and usually better in the original Italian. My written paper did not take that long.

No comments:

Post a Comment